If you haven’t applied for housing please do so here.
Virtual Housing Selection Information
Housing Selection will take place via Zoom on Wednesday, June 3rd beginning at 9:30am. Students who applied for housing will receive an email with their sign up time and reporting time and another explanation of each on Thursday 5/28/2020. Each student MUST READ ALL of the following as it will explain what is expected so they are prepared fully for Wednesday's selection.
Online Meeting Platform for Housing Selection
Zoom is the online meeting platform we will be using for Returning Student Housing Selection. It allows us several different options that will allow everyone to participate.
- In a separate email, students will be given their individual Report and Selection Times. In that email, they will also receive a link and tutorial to participate in a Zoom meeting.
- Students (and any roommates they’re ‘pulling in’) will be admitted into the Zoom meeting at the earliest designated Report Time among them to select their housing.
- All intended roommates are required to be on this Zoom call or have a Proxy (see below) call in their place.
- To ensure you are ready for this process, we ask that you ensure your Zoom client if fully functional prior to the day of selection
We will be using electronic signatures to complete housing license in lieu of doing so in person during Housing Selection. In order to select your room, you and your roommate(s) must each have your portion of the housing contract signed prior to your Report Time on the 3rd , it will be emailed to you with all the other forms referenced in this message and your selection time. You will also find it in the waiting room chat when you enter into the Zoom call on the 3rd . Any student who has not turned in a signed contract will forfeit their Selection Time and be pushed to the next available Selection Time after the submission of their contract.
NOTE: These licenses become binding once you choose a room. You must turn in a signed license for your room choice to become finalized. You will do this after you select a room, while in zoom a link will be sent to you to complete a fillable PDF (even if you have already turned in a license another way)
It is your responsibility to read the license and know what you are being asked to uphold in terms of deadlines and fees. There will be Instagram video posts on the Student Life Instagram page @CapTechUStudentLife about the license will begin to go up on May 28th in stories and highlights (if you don’t have Instagram please consider making an account just to view these videos. You can go to www.instagram.com to set that up, you do not need a smartphone).
If you are unable to participate in your scheduled Report Time, students are allowed to have another student of their choice participate in their place.
- If you require a proxy the form will be emailed out to you.
- Once the form is complete, communicate to your proxy your “wish list” of bedrooms/apartments – we will not provide this to your proxy, they need it prior to arriving to the call at your Report Time
- Then, your proxy will participate in the Zoom meeting at your Report Time, and sign you up for a room during your assigned Selection Time.
- If you need a proxy but do not have someone to ask please contact email@example.com
A full apartment of residents can choose to stay together for the coming year. This is called squatting. For an apartment to squat they must meet the following:
- Every resident of the current apartment must retain the same exact room as they are in currently.
- No resident may be swapped for another
- Spaces cannot be held for incoming first year students
- If every resident of the room doesn’t fill out the form by 8am on Wednesday, June 3rd then everyone in the room will have to choose a room through selection.
- Every resident of the current apartment must fill out the squatting form that will be emailed out with your times.
Live Floor Plan
Students can follow along during Housing Selection by watching live updates on a Floor Plan that will be sent out with the rest of the materials when you get your selection time.
- Open rooms/beds will have no marking and be open to choose. Rooms that are unavailable or have been claimed will have names
- This live floor plan is meant to give you real-time information about room availability during Housing Selection.
You should be monitoring this floor plan actively before your Selection Time; if you take longer than your assigned five minutes then you will be pushed back to the next available time at the end of the day.
Residents will be able to select from:
- Single in a 2A Apartment $4,131 per semester
- Single in a 4A Apartment $4,131 per semester
- Single in a 5A Apartment $4,090 per semester
- Double in a 5A Apartment $3,545 per semester
Floor plans are attached to the email you are reading this in.
Report & Selection Times
Report Times are scheduled 15-minutes before each student’s Selection Time.
- For example, if your Selection Time is 11:25 AM, she should call into the Zoom meeting at 11:10 AM.
- These 15-minutes will allow students to troubleshoot and resolve any technical issues and ensure their (potential) roommates who they may be “calling up” are in the Zoom Meeting as well.
- Staff will be available during Housing Selection to help students troubleshoot, but Student Life highly recommends that you test the link and familiarize yourself with Zoom prior to your Report Time
- Missing your report & selection times will push you to the end of the times for the day
A waitlist will be created and emailed to all students who participated in the housing selection. This waitlist is for students who may not have gotten their first choice during the selection process. This group of students will be placed on the waitlist for open spaces in the order of their assigned Selection Times. The waitlist will also be there for anyone who did not participate in housing selection but submitted an application.
- We understand that students may not have gotten their first choice during housing selection.
- We urge students to utilize coping skills to manage their reactions to any disappointing news about Housing Selection.
- Students will be notified and assigned to a space as soon as one becomes available; there will be an opportunity to share possible roommate preferences should space allow it and to confirm your desire to remain on the waitlist as a part of the waitlist itself
- You may not be notified until very late in the summer about a new housing assignment if you are waitlisted, you will be emailed your placement as it is when you signed up on the 3rd.