Academic performance is evaluated by letter grades that are assigned quality points.

Grade Standard Quality Points
A Excellent 4
B Good 3
C Average* 2
D Below Average* 1
F Failing 0
I Incomplete 0
NG No grade 0
P Pass 0
R Repeat 0
S Satisfactory 0
U Unsatisfactory 0
V Validation Credit 0
W Withdrawn (officially) 0
X Audit 0
T Transfer credit 0

* For graduate students: Grades of C show minimum expectations have been met and will jeopardize your good academic standing. Grades of D will not apply to graduate program requirements.


Grade Point Average

At the end of each semester, your grade point average is computed to indicate the general level of your academic standing. The first GPA calculated is for the semester or term, which is based only on grades from the most recently registered classes. The second is your cumulative GPA, which indicates the level for all coursework taken at the university.

If you retake a course, only the highest grade is used to calculate the cumulative GPA. The lower grade remains in your record as information only. To graduate from the undergraduates programs, you must have at least a 2.0 cumulative GPA, and at least a 2.0 in your degree program. Graduate students must have at least a 3.0 cumulative GPA and at least a 3.0 in their current degree program.



A semester credit hour is the amount of credit given for one hour per week of classroom time or two hours per week of laboratory time during a 16-week semester.

Repeating a Class

A course may be repeated in order to raise a grade. Only the higher grade is used to calculate the cumulative GPA. All grades are recorded on your transcript.

Incomplete Grades

An incomplete (I) grade will not be given except in the case of a true emergency that can be supported by medical records, death certificates, etc. Even if a true emergency exits, you will not be allowed an extension (an I grade) unless you have attended class and kept up with the work before the emergency.

Students have until the end of the fourth week of the next term to complete the work or the incomplete will be converted to an F. After six months, grade changes must be approved by the Vice-President for Academic Affairs.

No Grade Mark

When it is not appropriate to award a grade, a mark of NG will be given. NG grades are not calculated in term or cumulative GPAs.

Grade Reports

Grade reports are no longer mailed to you each semester. Grade reports and unofficial transcripts are available through myCapitol. If you want to have grades sent to any sponsors, you must complete the proper request form in the Office of Registration and Records. Federal regulations prohibit the use of phone, email or fax for official grade distribution.

Grade Appeal

If you think your posted grade is incorrect, you should first speak directly to the professor. If you and your professor cannot satisfactorily resolve the issue, you may submit a written appeal to your academic department Chair. The Chair will review the situation and may seek the advice of the Vice-President for Academic Affairs. The decision of the Vice-President for Academic Affairs is final and no further review will be granted. All appeals must be filed by the fourth week of the next term.

Grade Changes

Occasionally, errors occur and a grade must be changed. However, grade changes will not be accepted later than six months after a term has ended. If you think that a mistake has been made, you must investigate the matter as soon as possible after the grade is issued and contact the professor.

Dean's List

Full-time undergraduate students qualify for the semester dean's list if they have GPAs of 3.5 or higher and no failing or incomplete grades. Dean's list recognition is included on the student's permanent record.

Dean's List for Part-time Students

Part-time undergraduate students taking at least six semester credits qualify for the dean's list for part-time students if they have GPAs of 3.5 or higher and no failing or incomplete grades for the semester.