All financial aid awards are subject to change. Below are just a few reasons why your financial aid awards can be changed or cancelled.

  • The financial aid office becomes aware that you are receiving financial assistance from another institution or from sources outside the college, such as tuition assistance from employers, veterans educational benefits or scholarship funds from an outside organizations.
  • No student may receive financial aid in excess of their need as determined by the Department of Education.  Receipt of outside assistance often can cause you to be over-awarded.  In such cases, aid must be reduced or cancelled.  It is your responsibility to notify the financial aid office if you receive any outside resources.
  • The Department of Education conducts database matches with several government agencies such as Social Security, Selective Service and INS. Your financial aid will not be processed until you have cleared any conflicts.  You could have your financial aid cancelled by failing to make satisfactory progress toward your degree.
  • Undergraduate students  must meet progress standard by holding a miniumum cumulative GPA of 1.7 (if you attempted fewer than 30 semester-credit hours) or 2.0 (if you attempted at least 30 semester-credit hours or have completed your second academic year, whichever comes first).
  • Undergraduate students  must also successfully complete coursework within a time frame. These charts below show the minimum number of semester-credit hours and years of study you must achieve to remain in good academic standing for financial aid. If you do not meet either the minimum GPA standard or credit hour requirement, you will be placed on financial aid warning for one semester. If you fail to meet standards during the warning period, your financial aid will be terminated.  If your financial aid eligibility status is terminated, you may appeal as outlined below.
  • Graduate Students (Master's and Doctoral) receiving federal student aid must maintain a 3.00 cumulative Grade Point Average and earn all attempted credit hours.  Failure to meet these standards will place you on financial aid warning for one (1) semester. a student on financial aid warning will receive financial aid for one (1) more semester semester.  However before registering for classes the student must consult with their advisor on the best course options.  A graduate student under financial aid warning will have his or her financial aid terminated if the GPA and credit hours earned do not meet the standards listed above.

Credit Hours
These charts show the minimum number of semester-credit hours and years of study undergraduate students must have achieved to remain in good academic standing to receive financial aid.

Half-time Students
Year 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
(5.5 credits per semester)
11 22 33 44 55 66 77 88 99 110 121 132
Three-quarter time Students
Year 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 x x x
(7.5 credits per semester)
15 30 45 60 75 90 105 120 132 x x x
Full-time Students
Year 1 2 3 4 5 6 x x x x x x
(11 credits per semester)
22 44 66 88 110 132 x x x x x x

Undergraduate students must complete their educational program within a period no longer than 150 percent of the published length of the educational program, as measured by credits attempted and including transfer credits.

Financial Aid Termination - Undergraduate & Graduate (Master's and Doctoral Students)
An undergraduate or graduate student whose financial aid is terminated following the warning period will not receive financial aid again unless the student has submitted an appeal requesting financial aid reinstatement.  In your letter of appeal, you must explain the reason for your poor academic performance and provide medical documentation or other documents which help to explain your exceptional circumstances.  Your letter of appeal and accompanying documentation will be sent to the University's Financial Aid Appeals Committee for review.  You will be notified in writing of the Committee's decision.  If your appeal is granted you will be placed in a probationary status for one (1) semester. 
     Revised Award Letters:
  • If additional information is received that changes your estimated financial need, a revised award letter will be sent to you. As with the first letter, one signed copy must be returned to the financial aid office.